A major in journalism, strategic communication or media and information prepares you for a wide range of careers in the industry. It not only gives you a broad range of understanding, but also the hands-on skills needed when starting your career. Whether you want to be a reporter, a media planner, a graduate student or anything in between, the staff and faculty in the Hubbard School can help you plan your future.
Who to Contact When
Hubbard students have many career development resources available - through both CLA Career Services and through the Hubbard School’s Career Coach/Assistant Director for External Relations. Click the plus signs (+) to expand the boxes below to learn more about the options available. Unsure which resource is the best for your question? Contact Becky Borg in 110 Murphy Hall ([email protected]) for guidance.
- CLA Drop-in Hours (in person or virtual)
CLA Drop-in hours are a great place to start for any career questions; common topics covered include resume/cover letter review, help using Handshake, career exploration.
CLA in-person drop-in hours are Monday-Friday 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in 411 Bruininks Hall. No appointment needed.
Virtual drop-in hours are Monday-Friday 12-3 p.m. and Thursdays 5-7 p.m. For virtual drop-ins: Fill out a brief intake form and then get connected to a CLA Career Services staff member who will assist you. Drop-ins are typically 10-15 minutes long. In order to connect the most quickly for virtual drop-ins, please install the Zoom for Meetings Desktop App or the Zoom Mobile App. It is very easy to install! View the Zoom app installation instructions.
- E-Doc Review (review of resumes and cover letters)
Submit your resume and/or cover letter for customized feedback within three business days from CLA Career Services Peer Advisors.
- Web Resources
CLA Career Services website has a wide range of resources available. Below are a few commonly utilized by Hubbard Students:
- Internship Canvas course: At your own pace, learn tips for a successful internship search.
- Career Field newsletters: Sign up for monthly newsletters with job and internship postings, events, student & alumni profiles, and more!
- Career Guides: Access comprehensive information on career topics such as resumes, interviewing, networking, and more.
- CLA Career Coaching
CLA career coaches meet with students (and alumni who graduated a year ago or less) for 30-minute appointments in-person, phone, or online appointment. Questions, concerns, accommodations needed? Call: 612-624-7577 or email [email protected]
Typical reasons Hubbard students meet with career coaches:
- Major and Career Exploration
- Interest in career fields outside of Journalism and Strategic Communication (i.e. Government/Non-Profit, Pre-Law)
Hubbard School Career Coach: Becky Borg
- Career Coaching specific to Hubbard School majors career paths and employers
Admitted to the Hubbard School and ready to delve deeper into the employers and career paths available to you? Looking for an internship in a journalism, strategic communication or media and information field? Schedule an appointment for career coaching with Becky Borg: becky.appointments.umn.edu
- Advanced tailoring of resumes and cover letters specific to Hubbard School major careers
Have a solid resume and ready to cater your materials for a specific job or internship in a journalism, strategic communication or media and information field? Schedule an appointment for career coaching with Becky Borg: becky.appointments.umn.edu
- Connecting students to professionals
Perhaps your student organization is looking for a speaker from the industry? Or you’re looking for a contact for an informational interview? Reach out to Becky in 110 Murphy Hall ([email protected]) for assistance.
Meet Becky Borg
Becky Borg, M.S.
Hubbard School Assistant Director for External Relations and Career Coach
110 Murphy Hall
How Becky can help:
- Meet with Hubbard School students seeking career coaching specific to Strategic Communication and Journalism internships/jobs/employers
- Suggest guest speakers for Hubbard student organizations and events
- If you’re unsure where to begin with your career development or need help finding which resources to start with