Mental Health & Well-Being Resources

At the Hubbard School, we value each individual’s complete holistic health and well-being. The Hubbard School and the University of Minnesota offer a variety of support services for our students through providing mental health, well-being, food security, and financial resources.

If you are experiencing a crisis, you can call the U of M Crisis Line at 612-301-4673 (available 24/7), U of M Textline 24/7 by texting “UMN” to 61222.


Mental Health Resources

You will find the most up-to-date information about University's mental health services at Safe Campus - Mental Health. Other resources you can use might be:

+ Office for Student Affairs Student Mental Health Resources
+ Boynton Mental Health Clinic
+ Student Counseling Services
+ Student Affairs Care Program
+ Taking Charge of Your Health and Wellbeing
+ You@UMN

Additional campus departments may also be of support in times of need:

Accommodations and accessibility
The Disability Resource Center works with students, faculty/instructors, staff, and guests with documented disabilities to facilitate access on an individualized, case-by-case basis.

Community for students in recovery
Boynton Health's Recovery on Campus is a community of students in recovery from drug and alcohol use joined by friends who are allies in that journey.

Community for BIPOC students looking for alternative mental health resources
The Black Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) Mental Health Collective (MHC) was formed due to a community desire to create a radical healing space to foster conversations around the topic of Mental Health and Wellbeing in our communities. 

Concerns about sexual harassment or violence
The Aurora Center serves all victims/survivors/concerned people of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment at the U of M.

Concerns about discrimination, sexual misconduct, or retaliation
The Equal Opportunity & Title IX Office office addresses reports of discrimination, sexual misconduct (including sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence), nepotism, and related retaliation through investigation, informal problem-solving, and consultation.

Help for students who are parents
The Student Parent Help Center (SPHC) helps student parents in achieving their dream of a college degree. SPHC has a long history of serving all parenting students, including moms, dads, and adoptive siblings and other relatives.

Not sure what you need?
A number of Hubbard faculty and staff are trained Mental Health Advocates and can help direct you to resources.

+ Valérie Bélair-Gagnon, Associate Professor, 329 Murphy Hall
+ Gayle Golden, Senior Lecturer, 121 Murphy Hall
+ Amy O'Connor, Associate Professor, 206 Murphy Hall
+ Rebecca Rassier, Student Services, 110 Murphy Hall
+ Marco Yzer, Professor, 306 Murphy Hall

Well-Being Resources

BeWELL program
BeWELL defines well-being as a sense of wholeness and harmony that, in addition to physical and mental health, encompasses a number of other factors. Well-being in interprofessional health students may call for a greater need to emphasize stress reduction, self care, and resilience-building in order to find balance. BeWELL is committed to providing space, activities, and programming to support the cultivation of community and well-being in interprofessional health students at the University of Minnesota.

RecWell offers a variety of ways to aid in well-being including: Exercise (cardio equipment, swimming, etc.), Play (Adaptive sports, intramurals, etc.), Restore (outdoor trips, massage therapy, etc.), Learn (Swimming lessons, fitness lessons, etc.), and Work (multiple positions both indoors and outdoors). Additional well-being resources at RecWell include: Massage Therapy, Meditation, Study + Community Spaces, Wellbeing Resources and YOU@UMN.

Food Insecurity Resources

Food insecurity can be defined as lacking sufficient and consistent access to nutritious food to live a healthy and active life. The University of Minnesota and SPH is committed to combating hunger on its campuses. The Care Corner Initiative is a new program, designed to address hunger in its health science student population. Care Corners are currently located as follows:
+ Mayo Building, Hallway near Rooms A110 & D199
+ CHIP Care Corner: IP Student Lounge, HSEC 7-110
+ Nursing Care Corner: WDH 2-139
+ Dentistry Care Corner: Moos 15-106*
+ Vet Med Care Corner: Ben Pomeroy 108
+ MLS/OT Care Corner: ChRC 650

Financial Resources

There are various financial resources available to students.

Emergency funds
To request student emergency funds, contact One Stop Student Services at [email protected]. For international students experiencing an emergency, visit the ISSS Emergency Funds page. Eligible students must be in F-1/J-1 visa status and enrolled for the current term.

Financial aid
Apply for financial aid through the FAFSA. Must be a US citizen or permanent resident. Please refer to Onestop for more information.

Financial counseling
One Stop offers Financial Wellness Counseling to discuss money management, loans, credit, banking and identity theft. Boynton Health also offers free, confidential financial and credit card debt counseling through LSS Financial Counseling.

Affinity Groups
Student Counseling Services (SCS) offers a range of online educational workshops, affinity groups to connect and create community, and counseling groups for increased support in moving toward healing or change around specific challenges.