Transfer Students

Transfer Students


Transfer Students

We are pleased that you are considering a transfer to the Hubbard School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

Transfer students are a vital part of our School, and this page contains frequently asked questions to help students make a successful transition. 


Transfer Students FAQ

What should I do first?

Apply to the College of Liberal Arts and watch the online Pre-major Information session.
How to Apply (Journalism or Strategic Communication)
Declare the Media and Information Major

What are the minimum requirements to apply to the undergraduate program at the University of Minnesota?

The following items are required from all students, including incoming transfer students.

  • Completed or enrolled in JOUR 1001, earning a grade of “C-” or higher.
  • Completed 14 credits graded A-F.

Note: To be competitive for admission, students should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Do I need to wait until I have finished courses at the University of Minnesota to apply to or declare a Hubbard School major?

No. As long as you are enrolled in a degree seeking program, you can apply to or declare a Hubbard major with JOUR 1001 (complete or in progress) and at least 14 credits graded A-F from your transfer institution. 

Note: Transfer courses need to be posted to your UMN record prior to Hubbard application review (submit final transcripts to UMN admissions to have coursework posted to your record). Check your APAS to verify transfer courses have been posted.

When should I apply for a journalism or strategic communication major?

This will vary depending on how many credits a student transfers into the U of M. It takes a minimum of four (4) semesters (including the semester you apply) to complete a major. This means some transfer students may need to apply during their first semester on campus. You can apply during your first semester on campus if you have:

  • JOUR 1001 completed or in progress
  • 14 credits graded A-F completed 

Applications deadlines are posted on the website. 

What major is best for me?

The Hubbard School offers three majors focused on distinct areas of study within the discipline that connect to different kinds of work, including Journalism, Media and Information, and Strategic Communication: Advertising & Public Relations. Visit the “Explore Our Majors” page to see what major fits your interests and career goals.

Explore Our Majors 

What courses should I register for when I attend orientation?

Many transfer students have completed journalism courses at their previous institutions, so this answer will vary from person to person. The following is a general guide of what to register for if you are new to our majors.

  • JOUR 1001
  • 1-2 context courses

JOUR 3004 and JOUR 3201 are reserved for once you are admitted into a Hubbard School major. You will not be able to take these until the semester AFTER you apply and are accepted. 

After you are admitted to the U of M, if you have transfer courses you believe will satisfy JOUR 1001 or other JOUR courses, please contact [email protected] before your orientation date.

I’ve taken courses at my previous institution that seem to match University of Minnesota JOUR courses, how do I know if they will be accepted for my major requirements?

Search for your course on transferology before your orientation date. If your course is not listed, use the UMN's Transfer Credit Evaluation system to petition a transfer course to count toward a major requirement. Contact Hubbard School student services with questions. 

Learn More.




More Beyond the Classroom

Discover opportunities to further enrich your undergraduate experience.

Mentorships Research Study Abroad

Learn about the Hubbard School Application Process

How to Apply