Ready to apply to a Hubbard School major? Here's what you need to do.
Remember, you are eligible to apply for major status, once you have:
- Completed or enrolled in JOUR 1001, earning a grade of C- or higher
- Completed or enrolled in 14 credits graded A-F (for students applying Spring '21).
- Viewed the required online Pre-major Information Session
Note: Transfer courses need to be posted to your UMN record prior to Hubbard application review (submit final transcripts to UMN admissions to have coursework posted to your record). Check your APAS to verify transfer courses have been posted.
Please review all application steps in detail before beginning.
Contact Christine Mollen, email@example.com, if you have questions along the way!
- Step 1 - Prepare your written statement of intent
You might discuss:
- Why do you want to become a major—what aspects of the program interest you?
- Why are you pursuing a particular Hubbard School major and your interest in a particular focus within that major, such as creative advertising or broadcast journalism.
- How will a Hubbard School major play a part in achieving your academic and professional goals or aspirations.
- Describe an area of expertise (such as minor or second major) outside of the Hubbard School that will contribute to your study and practice of the field you are pursuing.
- How has your involvement in extracurricular activities, media, leadership, or community activities contributed to your academic and professional goals or aspirations.
- How has your diverse background, such as first-generation college student, representing a minority community, or returning to college after a break, influenced your decision to pursue a Hubbard School major.
- Explain any extenuating circumstances or important information related to your GPA.
The Statement of Intent should be 1½ to 2 pages, double-spaced, and your name and student ID number should be placed at the upper right-hand corner. The online application will require the statement of intent to be in PDF format.
When writing your Statement of Intent, remember to:
- Organize your thoughts
- Pay attention to detail
- Check spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Stay within the one and a half to two-page limit
- Proofread your final copy
- Match the information in your statement with the major you selected for your program plan
- Step 2 - Complete a sample Major Program Plan
Use the Major Program Plan to list the classes you will take to complete your major requirements and plan when you will take your courses. The Admissions Committee will review your plan to determine your attention to detail in choosing and scheduling your major courses, and your ability to complete the major requirements by the end of your senior year.
This is a sample version of the formal “Major Program Plan” you will complete to declare a Hubbard School major if you are admitted to the School.
To submit your Sample Major Program Plan with your application:
1. Complete both sides of the PDF form for the program track that matches your interests:Strategic Communication: Advertising and Public Relations Major
Mass Communication Major
2. Indicate the specific course numbers you will take to complete the various program requirements on the “Major Program Plan” side of the form.
3. Indicate which semester you will take each planned course by scheduling them on the “Major Program Timeline” side of the form. Note: You only need to include JOUR courses on your Sample Major Program Plan/Timeline.
4. The online application will require your completed sample program plan to be in PDF format.
Tips: Be sure to pay attention to prerequisites, and check to make sure each class is offered during the semester you have it listed on your timeline. If you plan to study abroad, include that on your timeline as well.
Detailed course information, including more tips for scheduling your classes, can be found in the major handbooks (see links above).
- Step 3 - Complete and submit the online application
Complete the online application to start the major in Fall 2021 at the link below by February 12, 2021 @ 12:00 pm (noon). Note: you must be logged into your x500/umn account to access the application.
Your application will not be considered complete until you submit the online application with all required documents before the deadline.
- Online application
- Statement of Intent - PDF upload to application
- Program Plan - PDF upload to application
Student Services will attach your grade report to your application. This report will include details of all the classes you have taken and the grade you received in each class. If you are a transfer student, your grades from previous institutions will also be visible.
- How your application is reviewed
The Hubbard School is committed to the recruitment, admission and retention of students from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds. The admissions committee will conduct a holistic review of each application. Although there are no minimum standards for admission, the committee is looking for students to meet threshold expectations in most of the following areas of the application:
- GPA: The committee is looking for a GPA of 3.0 or higher but will consider a GPA below 3.0 if other application materials demonstrate the applicant has the potential to be successful in the major. The student course report for students below a 3.0 GPA will be reviewed and the types of classes in which students succeeded and the general trend of academic success will be considered.
- Statement of Intent: The admissions committee is looking for a well-written statement that clearly and concisely addresses the prompts in step 2 above.
- Program Plan: The admissions committee is looking for a fully completed, thoughtful, and accurate program plan.
Once the committee has reviewed all applications, applicants will be notified of the committee's decision and any next steps via email. Applicants are notified two to three weeks after the application deadline.