Rolling Deadline: We are now accepting applications for Fall 2024. We will accept applications through August 15, 2024 for September admission on a space available basis. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Application Requirements for Fall 2024
Professionals in strategic communication currently employed in an advertising, public relations or marketing firm, or in a communication function within a corporation, nonprofit, or government entity, may apply. Other applicants whose experience or qualifications indicate the likelihood of their success will also be considered.
Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited US institution or its foreign equivalent. At least two years of professional experience in any of the following areas is preferred:
- Account planning, account management, advertising management, media planning or buying, or media sales or promotion
- Corporate or nonprofit communications, public affairs, public relations, or investor relations
- Direct marketing, sales management, marketing management, brand management or marketing, or public opinion research
- Journalism, reporting, or writing
How do I apply?
To apply, follow the steps below. All materials must be uploaded to the Graduate School Online Application. There is a rolling admission process, meaning that candidates are admitted as their applications are received until the 20-member cohort is full. The GRE exam will NOT be required for Fall 2024 admissions.
- Graduate School Online Application
- Unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, uploaded to the online application.
- A Statement of Objectives: Personal Statement Instructions (linked here)
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which must come from a current or previous employer who can verify your professional experience. Recommendations are also submitted online through the Graduate School Online Application.
- Up to three Professional Writing Samples (writing clips, multimedia design, etc.) written in English.
- A Professional Resume/CV.
Applicants may be eligible to receive a fee waiver for applying. If you are interested in receiving a waiver, email [email protected].
Please do not submit paper applications to the Hubbard School. However, if you have professional writing samples that cannot be uploaded to Graduate School Online Application, please contact the Graduate Student Services office at [email protected] for alternative options.
Note for International Students
This graduate program is primarily an online program, and, visa policies require new incoming graduate students to take one in person course per semester to remain visa eligible (F-1 is the most common visa). Students applying to this program would not be eligible to obtain a visa to study in this program and relocate to Minnesota due to the program modality. If you have further questions, you may email the International Student and Scholar Services Office at [email protected].
If your active student status has lapsed and you wish to resume graduate work in Strategic Communication, you must seek readmission to the HSJMC graduate program. If the HSJMC graduate faculty and the College of Liberal Arts approve your readmission application, you will be reinstated to continue working toward a MA or PhD degree in Strategic Communication.
There is no set deadline for applications for readmission and all readmission applications will be reviewed by the HSJMC Graduate Affairs Committee on a rolling basis. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Readmission is not guaranteed, and all students readmitted to the program must comply with the current University of Minnesota, CLA, and HSJMC Graduate Program Policies, and satisfy all conditions to the readmission (e.g., additional course work or any specific degree completion requirements) imposed by the advisor and Director of Graduate Studies within the allowed time period. All prior course work will be reviewed by the advisor and Director of Graduate Studies to determine how many and what specific courses need to be retaken and completed after readmission.
Submit the following information to the Graduate Student Services Office in 110 Murphy Hall.
Hubbard School Readmission Application Requirements
- Express Readmit application
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Transcripts from each institution attended at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Letter of support by your former advisor or any graduate faculty member in HSJMC who will serve as your advisor if you are readmitted
- Personal statement including the following information:
- Reasons for the lapse and justification for readmission
- Advisor and possible committee members for your MA or PhD thesis
- Concrete plan for degree completion with timeline and expected graduation date