Graduate Student Funding

Graduate Student Funding


Graduate Student Funding

Hubbard School doctoral students are among the most highly compensated within U.S. journalism and mass communication graduate programs.

Financial Support
in PhD assistantship and fellowship stipend support
in MA assistantship stipend support
PhD annual conference travel stipend
MA annual conference travel stipend

Hubbard School Graduate Fellowships

  • Stanley W. Carlson Graduate Scholarship 
  • Hazel Dicken-Garcia Graduate Fellowship 
  • Herbert Berridge Elliston Graduate Scholarship 
  • Arle and Billy Haeberle Scholarship 
  • Haeberle Broadcast 
  • Hubbard Broadcast Scholarship 
  • Hubbard Graduate Fellowship 
  • Joel and Laurie Kramer School of Journalism Fund 
  • DJ Leary Strategic Communication Fellowship for Strategic Communication MA
  • Marsha and Dr. James Marsh Sternberg Scholarship
  • Tunheim Partnership Scholarship 
  • Ray Tarleton Strategic Communication Fellowship for Strategic Communication MA
  • Vincent Bancroft Shea Fellowship 
  • William D. Wells Graduate Fellowship
  • William D. Wells Graduate Fellowship in Strategic Mass Communication

Silha Center Research Fellowship in Ethics and Law

Silha Fellowships offer graduate and law students the opportunity to engage in a variety of research projects in media ethics and law. Silha Fellowships are available to graduate students who have demonstrated interest and ability in the study of mass communication ethics and/or law. 

Research Funding

The University of Minnesota and the Hubbard School each offer special funding opportunities for conducting graduate student research. These opportunities range from travel funding to help mitigate the cost of presenting research at national conferences to a full fellowship for advanced PhD students ready to embark upon writing their dissertation.

Kriss Research Support Grants
These grants are designed to provide assistance to mass communication MA and PhD students in meeting direct costs associated with research.

Ralph D. Casey Dissertation Research Award 
A bequest to the Hubbard School from funds left by the School’s distinguished first director makes possible these annual awards for outstanding, meritorious dissertation research projects.

Conference Travel Funds
We award travel stipends to graduate students who present refereed papers at academic conferences. MA students are eligible for up to $750 and PhD students are eligible for up to $1,500 in travel grant support annually.

Graduate Assistantships

In addition to scholarship and fellowship awards, graduate students may seek positions as research or teaching assistants. These positions involve quarter- or half-time appointments as assistants to the faculty and staff of the HSJMC. Students obtaining assistantships are eligible for resident tuition rates and partial or full tuition waivers depending on their appointment (50 percent tuition waiver for quarter-time assistantship; 100 percent tuition waiver for half-time assistantship), as well as health insurance benefits.

Hubbard School teaching assistantships are awarded to graduate students who have highly developed verbal proficiency in English and demonstrated degree objectives, scholarly achievement, experience, and financial need. Research assistantships may be available in association with faculty and center research projects.

Other departments across the University often hire graduate students for various positions, which may include teaching, research, or administrative duties. These positions are listed on the Office of Human Resources website.

University-wide Fellowships

Numerous scholarship and fellowship opportunities are available to graduate students at the University of Minnesota. For a complete list and application instructions, visit the Graduate Fellowship website.

Qualifications and application process vary by fellowship. Some of these opportunities include:

  • Diversity of Views and Experiences Fellowships - U.U.S. citizens and permanent residents entering the Graduate School for the first time are nominated. These one-year fellowships provide a stipend of approximately $25,000 for the academic year plus tuition for up to 14 credits per semester and full health insurance coverage (fees not included). Students of superior ability who are admitted to the program are nominated for these fellowships by the HSJMC faculty.
  • Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship (DDF) - This fellowship gives the University's most accomplished Ph.D. candidates an opportunity to devote full-time effort to an outstanding research project by providing time to finalize and write a dissertation during the fellowship year. The award includes a stipend of $25,000 for the academic year, tuition for up to 14 thesis credits each semester, and subsidized health insurance through the Graduate Assistant Health Plan.
  • Interdisciplinary Doctoral Fellowship (IDF) - This fellowship provides a unique opportunity for outstanding Ph.D. students who are engaged in interdisciplinary research to study with faculty at one of the University’s interdisciplinary research centers or institutes during the fellowship year.
    The award includes a stipend of $25,000 for the academic year, tuition for up to 14 graduate credits each semester, and subsidized health insurance through the Graduate Assistant Health Plan. Summer health insurance will be provided if the Fellow remains eligible.
  • MacArthur Fellowships - Students entering doctoral programs will be considered. Applicants should have backgrounds and interests relevant to the issues central to the University's MacArthur Program, which are focused in four broad dimensions of contemporary world society: globalization, society and the ecosphere, war and institutions of violence, and identity and social power.


For information about educational loans, visit OneStop, or contact the OneStop Student Services office at 612-624-1111 or [email protected]

Office of Student Finance

Most University students receive some financial aid to help pay their educational expenses from grants, scholarships, work-study and loans. The Office of Student Finance administers all financial aid programs at the University. For more information on the financial aid process, visit OneStop.

CLA Graduate Funding

The College of Liberal Arts administers competitive research and teaching funding opportunities for graduate students.